Welcome to the 233rd Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, bringing you the best critical care research and open access articles from across the medical literature over the past seven days. The highlights of this week's edition are two guidelines, on acute kidney injury in the perioperative period and in intensive care units and the 2016 ACC/AHA/HFSA Focused Update on New Pharmacological Therapy for Heart Failure. If you only have time for one review article this week, choose between neurocritical care update, risk estimation and management of coagulopathy in ICU patients in need of an invasive procedure or overview of agents used for emergency hemostasis.
This week's Topic of the Week is candidiasis, starting with a paper on the diagnosis and management of invasive candidiasis in the ICU in tomorrow's Paper of the Day.
- Abstract: Meng. Levosimendan Versus Dobutamine in Myocardial Injury Patients with Septic Shock: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Med Sci Monit 2016;22:1486–1496
- Abstract: Vahedian-Azimi. Effect of the Cardio First Angel™ device on CPR indices: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Critical Care 2016;20:147
- Abstract: Frat. Effect of non-invasive oxygenation strategies in immunocompromised patients with severe acute respiratory failure: a post-hoc analysis of a randomised trial. Lancet Respir Med 2016;epublished May 27th
- Abstract: Kelbæk. Deferred versus conventional stent implantation in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (DANAMI 3-DEFER): an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2016;387(10034):2199-2206
- Abstract: Guo. The efficacy and safety of oxandrolone treatment for patients with severe burns: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Burns 2016;42(4):717-727
- Abstract: van der Hoven. Effectiveness of insertion and maintenance bundles to prevent central-line-associated bloodstream infections in critically ill patients of all ages: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2016;16(6):724–734
- Abstract: Navickis. Albumin in Burn Shock Resuscitation: A Meta-Analysis of Controlled Clinical Studies. J Burn Care Res 2016;37(3):e268–e278
- Full Text: Xiong. Statins for the prevention and treatment of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Respirology 2016;epublished May 24th
- Full Text: Busani. Intravenous immunoglobulin in septic shock: review of the mechanisms of action and meta-analysis of the clinical effectiveness. Minerva Anestesiologica 2016;82(5):559-72
- Abstract: Luo. Intravenous Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke in Patients Receiving Antiplatelet Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta‐analysis of 19 Studies. J Am Heart Assoc 2016;5:e003242
- Full Text: Monnet. The passive leg raising test to guide fluid removal in critically ill patients. Annals of Intensive Care 2016;6:46
- Full Text: Coudroy. High-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy versus noninvasive ventilation in immunocompromised patients with acute respiratory failure: an observational cohort study. Annals of Intensive Care 2016;6:45
- Abstract: Brodie. Use of Metabolomics to Trend Recovery and Therapy After Injury in Critically Ill Trauma Patients. JAMA Surgery 2016;epublished May 25th
- Abstract: Sato. The electrolarynx as a communication tool for mechanically ventilated critically ill patients: a prospective feasibility study. Intensive Care Med 2016;epublished May 19th
- Abstract: Wilson. Impact Brain Apnoea-a forgotten cause of cardiovascular collapse in trauma. Resuscitation 2016;epublished May 19th
- Full Text: Lee. Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients treated with cardiopulmonary resuscitation using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: focus on survival rate and neurologic outcome. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 2016;24:74
- Full Text: Sano. Resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta for uncontrollable nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2016;11:20
- Full Text: Thongprayoon. Temporal trends in the utilization of vasopressors in intensive care units: an epidemiologic study. BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology 2016;17:19
- Joffe. Nutritional support for critically ill children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016; Issue 5. Art. No.: CD005144
- Fanning. Routine invasive strategies versus selective invasive strategies for unstable angina and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction in the stent era. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD004815
- Estcourt. Use of platelet transfusions prior to lumbar punctures or epidural anaesthesia for the prevention of complications in people with thrombocytopenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD011980
- McNicol. Single dose intravenous paracetamol or intravenous propacetamol for postoperative pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD007126
- Pandey. Antiepileptic drugs for the primary and secondary prevention of seizures in viral encephalitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD010247
- Kuroda. Neurocritical care update. Journal of Intensive Care 2016;4:36
- Green. Mobilization of intensive care patients: a multidisciplinary practical guide for clinicians. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare 2016;9:247-256
- Lozano. European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2015: Key Points. Rev Esp Cardiol 2016;69:588-94
- Krowka. Cardiopulmonary examination. Clinical Liver Disease 2016;7:116–118
- Bagai. Individualizing Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Acute Coronary Syndrome or Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Circulation 2016;133:2094-2098
- Gewillig. The Fontan circulation after 45 years: update in physiology. Heart 2016;epublished May 24th
- Jain. The 30-year evolution of airway pressure release ventilation (APRV). Intensive Care Medicine Experimental 2016;4:11
- Ross. Rapid Sequence Induction - ATOTW 331
- Chaturvedi. Demystifying the persistent pneumothorax: role of imaging. Insights Imaging 2016;7:411–429
- Müller. Risk estimation and management of coagulopathy in ICU patients in need of an invasive procedure. Neth J Crit Care May 2016;24(3):6-11
- Al-Azzawi. Nephrotic syndrome-induced thromboembolism in adults. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2016;6:85-8
- Calandra. Diagnosis and management of invasive candidiasis in the ICU: an updated approach to an old enemy. Critical Care 2016;20:125
- Muckart. Positron emission tomography/computed tomography scanning for the diagnosis of occult sepsis in the critically injured. S Afr J Surg 2016;54(1)
- Vetter. Sequelae of Ebola virus disease: the emergency within the emergency. Lancet Infect Dis 2016;16(6):e82–e91
- Bakhshayesh. Effectiveness of non invasive external pelvic compression: a systematic review of the literature. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 2016;24:73
- Ichai. Acute kidney injury in the perioperative period and in intensive care units (excluding renal replacement therapies). Ann Intensive Care. 2016 Dec;6(1):48
- 2016 ACC/AHA/HFSA Focused Update on New Pharmacological Therapy for Heart Failure: An Update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. Circulation 2016;epublished May 20th
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. European Journal of Heart Failure 2016;epublished May 20th
- Cosialsa. Echocardiography Outside the Cardiology Setting. Position Paper and Recommendations of the Spanish Society of Cardiology. Rev Esp Cardiol 2016;epublished May 25th
- Valentin. Into the out: safety issues in interhospital transport of the critically ill. Intensive Care Med 2016;epublished May 20th
- Mandal. Ideal resuscitation fluid in hypovolemia: The quest is on and miles to go!. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2016;6:54-5
- Brett-Major. Zika virus, emergencies, uncertainty and vulnerable populations. J R Coll Physicians Edinb 2016;46:3–6
- Chawla. The use of angiotensin II in distributive shock. Critical Care 2016;20:137
- Bouglé. Muscle regeneration after sepsis. Crit Care 2016;20:131
- Fogo. AJKD Atlas of Renal Pathology: Toxic Acute Tubular Injury. Am J Kidney Dis 2016;67(6):e31-e32
- Here's a headline to grab your attention - "Dead could be brought 'back to life' in groundbreaking project". ht @icuresearch
There is only one month to SMACC DUB. If you haven't yet booked your pre-conference workshop, then the "Stop Gambling - Applying Evidence to Practice" session comes highly recommended (...cough...). You will be encouraged to doubt the ground on which you stand, then come to terms with how we handle that uncertainty in real life practice – without becoming a nihilist.
The Irish Critical Care-Clinical Trials Group (ICC-CTG) host a two hour meeting in conjunction with the Intensive Care Society of Ireland Annual Meeting in the AVIVA Stadium on Saturday June 11th and two Clinical Research Foundation Workshops on Sunday June 12th & Monday June 13th. A distinguished international panel of guests will be present to demonstrate how a CTG functions and what each unit needs to know. In addition, this meeting provides the opportunity to network and keep up to speed with the ICC-CTG's current and future trials portfolio.
A networking dinner will be hosted on Monday 13th June in Sophie's Restaurant at The Dean Hotel. These meetings will be immediately before SMACC Dub and may also be of interest to those visiting Dublin. The registration fee is €50 and includes lunch & refreshments throughout the day. Book before 1st May to avail of the Early Bird option of €30 (limited availability).
Please contact Louise at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the meeting and meal.
The Summer Scientific Meeting of the Intensive Care Society is on Saturday June 11th at the Aviva Stadium, the home of Irish Rugby and Soccer. The theme is toxicology and features several of the SMACC faculty who will be in town that weekend. The meeting programme and registration are available on the brand new, and beautiful, Intensive Care Society of Ireland website.
The 9th UK Critical Care Research Forum is being held on 23rd – 24th June 2016 at the Sage Gateshead, with over 20 research proposals as well as sessions on adaptive trial design, international collaborations in critical care trials and patient-centred research. There is also a Forum dinner at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Registration is now open.
(image from Wikimedia)
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. If you have an idea for a paper, and can say it in an engaging manner, please get in touch. We also need peer reviewers.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week