Welcome to the 230th Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, bringing you the best critical care research and open access articles from across the medical literature over the past seven days. Apologies it's slightly late. This week's Topic of the Week is rescue therapies for hypoxaemia, starting with a paper on the efficacy of prone position ventilation in acute respiratory distress syndrome in tomorrow's Paper of the Day.
For the second week, along with some friends, I'm asking for some help! See the message below from Paul Young.
You are invited to participate in a survey designed to provide estimates of ‘pre-test probability’ that hypotheses for major ongoing trials in critically ill adults are correct. These probability estimates will then be used to aid our understanding of what the trial results mean when the trials are completed. We think that you will find the survey interesting to complete because it will provide some information about major ongoing trials in the field. We estimate that it will take you around 10 minutes to do. We want as many Critical Care Reviews subscribers as possible to respond to the survey.
In order to record the number of people who could complete the survey, we're asking you to register for the newsletter and complete it via this route.
- Abstract: Serrano. Preoperative hydration with 0.9% normal saline to prevent acute kidney injury after major elective open abdominal surgery: A randomised controlled trial. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2016;33(6):436–443
- Abstract: Basciani. Anaesthetic induction with etomidate in cardiac surgery: A randomised controlled trial. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2016;33(6):417–424
- Full Text: Wierstra. The impact of "early" versus "late" initiation of renal replacement therapy in critical care patients with acute kidney injury: a systematic review and evidence synthesis. Crit Care 2016;20(1):122
- Abstract: Xu. Noninvasive ventilation for acute lung injury a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Heart Lung 2016;45(3):249-57
- Abstract: Dunkley. Therapeutic hypothermia in patients following traumatic brain injury: a systematic review. Nurs Crit Care 2016;epublished May 6th
- Abstract: Kobylianskii. Electrical Impedance Tomography in Adult Patients Undergoing Mechanical Ventilation: A Systematic Review. J Crit Care 2016;epublished May 3rd
- Abstract: Kumar. Vasospasm on transcranial Doppler is predictive of delayed cerebral ischemia in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Neurosurgery 2016;124(5):1257-1264
- Abstract: Egal. Targeting oliguria reversal in perioperative restrictive fluid management does not influence the occurrence of renal dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2016;33(6):425–435
- Full Text: Straarup. Cardiac troponins and volatile anaesthetics in coronary artery bypass graft surgery: A systematic review, meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2016;33(6):396–407
- Full Text: Doorduin. Assessment of dead-space ventilation in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: a prospective observational study. Critical Care 2016;20:121
- Abstract: Danziger. Admission Peripheral Edema, Central Venous Pressure, and Survival in Critically Ill Patients. Anns ATS 2016;13(5):705-711
- Abstract: Toonstra. Feasibility and Safety of Physical Therapy during Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy in the Intensive Care Unit. Ann ATS 2016;13(5):699-704
- Donnelly. Regulation of the cerebral circulation: bedside assessment and clinical implications. Critical Care 2016;20:129
- Anderson. Acute ischemic stroke: The golden hour. Nursing Critical Care 2016;11(3):28–36
- O’Neal. Predicting, preventing, and identifying delirium after cardiac surgery. Perioperative Medicine 2016;5:7
- Song. Prognostic value of somatosensory-evoked potentials in neurology: A critical review in hypoxic encephalopathy. Neurol India 2016;64:396-404
- Oddo. Optimizing sedation in patients with acute brain injury. Critical Care 2016;20:128
- Headley. The Goldilocks Principle: Using functional hemodynamics for fluid optimization. Nursing Critical Care 2016;11(3):23–27
- von Segesser. Prevention and therapy of leg ischaemia in extracorporeal life support and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation with peripheral cannulation. Swiss Med Wkly 2016;6;146:w14304
- Butt. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation 2016: an update. F1000Research 2016, 5(F1000 Faculty Rev):750
- Baron. Recent advances in understanding and treating ARDS. F1000Research 2016, 5(F1000 Faculty Rev):725
- Koulouras. Efficacy of prone position in acute respiratory distress syndrome patients: A pathophysiology-based review. World J Crit Care Med 2016;5(2):121-36
- Swain. Mechanical ventilation in neurological and neurosurgical patients. Neurol India 2016;64:485-93
- Relloa. Sepsis and Septic shock in Low-Income and Middle-Income Countries: Need for a different paradigm. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2016;epublished April 25th
- Harm. Low-dose polymyxin: an option for therapy of Gram-negative sepsis. Innate Immun 2016;22(4):274–283
- Lorente. Antimicrobial-impregnated catheters for the prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infections. World J Crit Care Med 2016;5(2):137-142
- Paramythiotou. Association between infections caused by multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria and mortality in critically ill patients. World J Crit Care Med 2016;5(2):111–120
- Stahel. History of pelvic fracture management: a review. World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2016;11:18
- Park. Significant results: statistical or clinical? Korean J Anesthesiol 2016;69(2):121-125
- Musher. Should Committees That Write Guidelines and Recommendations Publish Dissenting Opinions? Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91(5):634–639
American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- Pisani. Sleep in the Intensive Care Unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med Medicine 2015;191(7):731-738
- Brown. Cardiotoxicity during Invasive Pneumococcal Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med Medicine 2015;191(7):739-745
- Meng. Cardiac Output and Cerebral Blood Flow: The Integrated Regulation of Brain Perfusion in Adult Humans. Anesthesiology 2015;123:1198-1208
Anesthesia & Analgesia
Guidelines & Position Statements
- Fagley. Critical Care Basic Ultrasound Learning Goals for American Anesthesiology Critical Care Trainees: Recommendations from an Expert Group. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1041-105
- Prielipp. The Future of Anesthesiology: Should the Perioperative Surgical Home Redefine Us. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1142-1148
- Warner. The Perioperative Surgical Home: A Response to a Presumed Burning Platform or a Thoughtful Expansion of Anesthesiology? Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1149-1151
- Prielipp. Dialogue on the Future of Anesthesiology. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1152-1154
- Kain. Disruptive Innovation and the Specialty of Anesthesiology: The Case for the Perioperative Surgical Home. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1155-1157
- Goeddel. Ethical Opportunities with the Perioperative Surgical Home: Disruptive Innovation, Patient-Centered Care, Shared Decision Making, Health Literacy, and Futility of Care. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1158-1162
- Mariano. Why the Perioperative Surgical Home Makes Sense for Veterans Affairs Health Care. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1163-1166
- Ferrari. Beyond the Preoperative Clinic: Considerations for Pediatric Care Redesign Aligning the Patient/Family-Centered Medical Home and the Perioperative Surgical Home. Anesth Analg 2015;120(5):1167-1170
British Journal of Anaesthesia
- Kessler. Peripheral regional anaesthesia and outcome: lessons learned from the last 10 years. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):728-745
- Greco. A Bayesian network meta-analysis on the effect of inodilatory agents on mortality. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):746-756
- Minto. Perioperative fluid management: science, art or random chaos? Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):717-721
- Finfer. Flawed assumptions about clinical trials. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):847
- von Bormann. A scientific journals' duty of neutrality. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):853-854
- Kozek-Langenecker. Response to von Bormann and colleagues. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):855-856
- Perouansky. The lure of inductivism. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):848-849
- Sleigh. Reply: the lure of inductivism. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(5):849
- Hall. Limitations of component therapy for massive haemorrhage: is whole blood the whole solution?. Anaesthesia 2015;70:511–514
- Leslie. Awake intubation. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):64-67
- Scott-Warren. Cancer pain management: Part II: Interventional techniques. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):68-72
- Shuker. End-of-life care. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):73-77
- Miles. Environmental emergencies in theatre and critical care areas: power failure, fire, and explosion. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):78-83
- Griffiths. Placental structure, function and drug transfer. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):84-89
- Stewart. Supraventricular tachyarrhythmias and their management in the perioperative period. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):90-97
- Feizerfan. Transition from acute to chronic pain. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):98-102
- Ward. UK healthcare workers infected with blood-borne viruses: guidance on risk, transmission, surveillance, and management. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2015;15(2):103-108
The Irish Critical Care-Clinical Trials Group (ICC-CTG) host a two hour meeting in conjunction with the Intensive Care Society of Ireland Annual Meeting in the AVIVA Stadium on Saturday June 11th and two Clinical Research Foundation Workshops on Sunday June 12th & Monday June 13th. A distinguished international panel of guests will be present to demonstrate how a CTG functions and what each unit needs to know. In addition, this meeting provides the opportunity to network and keep up to speed with the ICC-CTG's current and future trials portfolio.
A networking dinner will be hosted on Monday 13th June in Sophie's Restaurant at The Dean Hotel. These meetings will be immediately before SMACC Dub and may also be of interest to those visiting Dublin. The registration fee is €50 and includes lunch & refreshments throughout the day. Book before 1st May to avail of the Early Bird option of €30 (limited availability).
Please contact Louise at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the meeting and meal.
The Summer Scientific Meeting of the Intensive Care Society is on Saturday June 11th at the Aviva Stadium, the home of Irish Rugby and Soccer. The theme is toxicology and features several of the SMACC faculty who will be in town that weekend. The meeting programme and registration are available on the brand new, and beautiful, Intensive Care Society of Ireland website.
The 9th UK Critical Care Research Forum is being held on 23rd – 24th June 2016 at the Sage Gateshead, with over 20 research proposals as well as sessions on adaptive trial design, international collaborations in critical care trials and patient-centred research. There is also a Forum dinner at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Registration is now open.
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. The website has caught a cold, but will be back up very soon.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week