- Abstract: Tran. A Systematic Review of Alpha-2 Agonists for Sedation in Mechanically Ventilated Neurocritical Care Patients. Neurocrit Care 2017;epublished May 25th
- Abstract: Detsis. ICU Acquisition Rate, Risk Factors, and Clinical Significance of Digestive Tract Colonization With Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med 2017;45(4):705-714
- Abstract: Hodgson. The impact of disability in survivors of critical illness. Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 22nd
- Abstract: Needham. Core Outcome Measures for Clinical Research in Acute Respiratory Failure Survivors: An International Modified Delphi Consensus Study. am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017;epublished May 24th
- Full Text: Mortamet. Diaphragm electrical activity monitoring as a breakpoint in the management of a tetraplegic child. Critical Care 2017;21:116
- Abstract: Salcido. Compression-to-ventilation ratio and incidence of rearrest—A secondary analysis of the ROC CCC trial. Resuscitation 2017;115:68-74
- Abstract: Jeong. Association of time from arrest to percutaneous coronary intervention with survival outcomes after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2017;115:148–154
- Abstract: Rapun. Early Lance–Adams syndrome after cardiac arrest: Prevalence, time to return to awareness, and outcome in a large cohort. Resuscitation 2017;115:169–172
- Perry. Antithrombotic treatment after stroke due to intracerebral haemorrhage. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD012144
- Abdelgadir. Videolaryngoscopy versus direct laryngoscopy for tracheal intubation in children (excluding neonates). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD011413
- Feinberg. Nutrition support in hospitalised adults at nutritional risk. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD011598
- Badger. Endovascular treatment for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD005261
- Esposito. The role of acute circulatory support in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock. Indian Heart Journal 2017;epublished May 22nd
- Lulloa. Pathophysiology of the cardio-renal syndromes types 1–5: An uptodate. Indian Heart Journal 2017;69(2):255-265
- Peng. Treatment of Cervical Artery Dissection: Antithrombotics, Thrombolysis, and Endovascular Therapy. BioMed Research International 2017;2017:3072098
- Balasingama. Tele-echocardiography – Made for astronauts, now in hospitals. Indian Heart Journal 2017;69(2):252-254
- Bashir. High-pressure injection injury: Role of early detection and aggressive intervention. Journal of Emergency Medicine, Trauma and Acute Care 2017;1:1
- Di Franco. Serendipity and innovation: history and evolution of transthoracic echocardiography. J Thorac Dis 2017;9(Suppl 4):S257–S263
- Rong. An update on intraoperative three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography. J Thorac Dis 2017;9(Suppl 4):S271–S282
- Shah. Fractional flow reserve to guide surgical coronary revascularization. J Thorac Dis 2017;9(Suppl 4):S317–S326
- Ohmes. Techniques for intraoperative graft assessment in coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Dis 2017;9(Suppl 4):S327–S332
- Cheung. Updates on hepatorenal syndrome and strategies bridging to liver transplantation. Hepatoma Res 2017;3:67-72
- Leise. Hyponatremia in the perioperative period: When and how to correct. Clinical Liver Disease 2017;9:111–114
- Quezada. Diabetic ketoacidosis: Should current management include subcutaneous insulin injections? The Southwest Respiratory and Critical Care Chronicles 2017;5(19):6–10
- Shehab-Eldin. The role of thiamine as a resuscitator in patients with nonalcoholic medical and CNS disorders. The Southwest Respiratory and Critical Care Chronicles 2017;5(19):11–15
- Shen. Viscoelastic testing inside and beyond the operating room. J Thorac Dis 2017;9(Suppl 4):S299–S308
- Lambert. Clinical updates in adult immune thrombocytopenia. Blood 2017;129:2829-2835
- Joly. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2017;129:2836-2846
- Sakari. HUS and atypical HUS. Blood 2017;129:2847-2856
- Arepally. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Blood 2017;129:2864-2872
- Scarlatescu. Anticoagulant Therapy in Sepsis. The Importance of Timing. The Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2017;3(2):63-69
- Ayukekbong. The threat of antimicrobial resistance in developing countries: causes and control strategies. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control 2017;6:47
- Vitin. Perioperative Management of Lactic Acidosis in End-Stage Liver Disease Patient. The Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2017;3(2):55-62
- Dubois. Perioperative management of patients on direct oral anticoagulants. Thrombosis Journal 2017;15:14
- Peberdy. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Adults and Children With Mechanical Circulatory Support. Circulation 2017;135:00–00
- Sorajja. Executive summary of the SCAI/HFSA clinical expert consensus document on the use of invasive hemodynamics for the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease. Cathet Cardiovasc Intervent 2017;epublished May 10th
- Flaatten. A nephrologist should be consulted in all cases of acute kidney injury in the ICU: yes. Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 22nd
- Kellum. A nephrologist should be consulted in all cases of acute kidney injury in the ICU: No. Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 22nd
- Schetz. A nephrologist should be consulted in all cases of acute kidney injury in the ICU: We are not sure. Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 22nd
- Motzkus. Accountability for Sepsis Treatment: The SEP-1 Core Measure. Chest 2017;151(5):955-957
- Nugent. Official American Thoracic Society/American College of Chest Physicians clinical practice guideline: Liberation from mechanical ventilation in critically ill adults. The Southwest Respiratory and Critical Care Chronicles 2017;5(19):1–3
- Sayed. Combined pulmonary and left ventricular support with veno-pulmonary ECMO and impella 5.0 for cardiogenic shock after coronary surgery. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2017;12:38
- Piek. Coronary physiology revisited. Neth Heart J 2017;25:355
- Barco. Catheter-directed thrombolysis for acute pulmonary embolism: Where do we stand?. Lung India 2017;34:221-2
- Williams. Liver transplantation in acute-on-chronic liver failure. Hepatoma Res 2017;3:90-4
- Palevsky. What endpoints should not be used for clinical studies of acute kidney injury? Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 20th
- Hoo. What is an ROC curve? Emerg Med J 2017;34:357-359
- Paiva. Real -time PCR for early microbiological diagnosis: is it time? Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 23rd
- Koven. Letter to a Young Female Physician. N Engl J Med 2017;376:1907-1909
- Gellad. Accelerated Approval and Expensive Drugs — A Challenging Combination. N Engl J Med 2017;376:2001-2004
- Schneider. What’s new: prevention of acute dialysis catheter-related infection. Intensive Care Med 2017;epublished May 18th
- Akkermans. Thomas L Petty. Lancet Respir Med 2017;5(6):471-472
- Ashbaugh. David Ashbaugh reminisces. Lancet Respir Med 2017;5(6):474
- Waraich. The life and work of Jean-Martin Charcot (1825–1893): ‘The Napoleon of Neuroses’. JICS 2017;epublished May 23rd
- Yang. The receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. The Southwest Respiratory and Critical Care Chronicles 2017;5(19):34–36
- Schwingshackl. Work-Life Balance: Essential or Ephemeral? Front Pediatr 2017;5:108
There is just over a month until Das SMACC with just a handful of tickets remaining availabe for the main conference. If you are interested in attending the workshops, there are a very small number of tickets left for the Hardcore Intensive Care workshop being organised by Steve Mathieu and Sarah Yong. With a superb international faculty, this half-day event will address your burning critical care questions.
The Intensive Care Society of Ireland and the Northern Ireland Intensive Care Society jointly host a summer scientific meeting in Belfast on June 9th and 10th. With major interntaional speakers from Australia, the USA, Denmark, Spain and the UK, this promises to be an excellent event. The programme and registration are available here. Hopefully I'll see you there.
The ANZICS/ACCCN Annual Scientific Meeting, which incorporates the annual Paediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care Conference, will be held at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, 11-13 October 2017. The Annual Scientific Meeting will be the preeminent critical care conference in Australasia for the calendar year and will be an important platform that will allow doctors, nurses and allied health practitioners to meaningfully connect and discuss new developments and research in the field of intensive and critical care.
The theme of the Meeting is “Thinking Outside the Flags” and will focus upon innovative and challenging advances that lie outside the safe zone of current practice, as well as the potential dangers that they may bring. A number of highly regarded international speakers will join our distinguished national and local speakers, experts in the field of intensive care medicine, nursing and allied health, promising delegates an exciting and challenging program.
Registration and the call for abstracts will open on 20 March 2017. For further information or to express your interest in attending, please visit http://intensivecareasm2017.com.au/.
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. If you have an idea for a paper, and can say it in an engaging manner, please get in touch. We also need peer reviewers.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week