Welcome to the 218th Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, bringing you the most important research and open access articles from the past seven days. It's been a busy week, with loads of great papers published. The highlights of this week's newsletter are the publication of a preliminary ECCO2R feasibility study, a related review article on extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal, plus review articles on fluid therapy in sepsis and renal replacement therapy. Keeping with this latter theme, this week's Topic of the Week is acute kidney injury, starting with a paper on its definition, diagnosis and epidemiology in tomorrow's Paper of the Day.
- Abstract: Fransen. Time to Reperfusion and Treatment Effect for Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Neurol 2016;73(2):190
- Abstract: Freeman-Sanderson. A Return of Voice for Ventilated Tracheostomy Patients in ICU: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Early-Targeted Intervention. Critical Care Med 2016;epublished February 5th
- Abstract: Yuan. Coagulopathy in Traumatic Brain Injury and its Correlation with Progressive Hemorrhagic Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Neurotrauma 2016;epublished February 5th
- Full Text: Polleselloa. Levosimendan meta-analyses: Is there a pattern in the effect on mortality? International Journal of Cardiology 2016;epublished February 3rd
- Full Text: Hemkens. Agreement of treatment effects for mortality from routinely collected data and subsequent randomized trials: meta-epidemiological survey. BMJ 2016;352:i493
- Abstract: Halabi. Early TIPS Versus Endoscopic Therapy for Secondary Prophylaxis After Management of Acute Esophageal Variceal Bleeding in Cirrhotic Patients: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016;epublished February 9th
- Abstract: Villablanca. Therapeutic hypothermia in ST elevation myocardial infarction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised control trials. Heart 2016;epublished February 10th
- Abstract: Tabah. A Systematic Review of the Definitions, Determinants, and Clinical Outcomes of Antimicrobial De-escalation in the Intensive Care Unit. Clin Infect Dis 2015;epublished December 23rd
- Abstract: Allingstrup. Antithrombin III for critically ill patients: a systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. Intensive Care Med 2016;epublished February 9th
- Full Text: Villablanca. Mild therapeutic hypothermia in patients resuscitated from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Ann Card Anaesth 2016;19:4-14
- Abstract: Fanelli. Feasibility and safety of low-flow extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal to facilitate ultra-protective ventilation in patients with moderate acute respiratory distress sindrome. Critical Care 2016;20:36
- Abstract: Greer. Variability of Brain Death Policies in the United States. JAMA Neurol 2016;73(2):213-218
- Full Text: McKeever. Using venous blood gas analysis in the assessment of COPD exacerbations: a prospective cohort study. Thorax 2016;0:1–6
- Abstract: Smith. Reduced Cerebral Perfusion Pressure during Lung Transplant Surgery Is Associated with Risk, Duration, and Severity of Postoperative Delirium. Ann Am Thor Soc 2016;13(2):180-187
- Abstract: Stewart. Outcomes of Patients with Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome Treated with High-Dose Sedatives and Deferred Intubation. Ann Am Thor Soc 2016;13(2):248-252
- Abstract: Edul. Similar Microcirculatory Alterations in Patients with Normodynamic and Hyperdynamic Septic Shock. Ann Am Thor Soc 2016;13(2):240-247
- Full Text: Tsurukiri. Resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta for uncontrolled haemorrahgic shock as an adjunct to haemostatic procedures in the acute care setting. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 2016;24(1):13
- Full Text: Harbi. Association between aspirin therapy and the outcome in critically ill patients: a nested cohort study. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol 2016;17(1):5
- Full Text: Wahab. The implementation of an early rehabilitation program is associated with reduced length of stay: A multi-ICU study. JICS 2016;17:2-11
- Abstract: Rigatto. Renal failure in patients treated with colistin versus polymyxin B: a multicenter prospective cohort study. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2016;epublished February 8th
- Abstract: Marttinen. Association of plasma chloride values with acute kidney injury in the critically ill - a prospective observational study. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2016;epublished February 11th
- Faddy. Biphasic versus monophasic waveforms for transthoracic defibrillation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD006762
- Thiele. Multivessel versus culprit lesion only percutaneous revascularization plus potential staged revascularization in patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock: Design and rationale of CULPRIT-SHOCK trial. Am Heart J 2016;172:160-9
- STARSurg Collaborative. Outcomes After Kidney injury in Surgery (OAKS): protocol for a multicentre, observational cohort study of acute kidney injury following major gastrointestinal and liver surgery. BMJ Open 2016;6(1):e009812
- van den Bergh. Pharmacotherapy of traumatic brain injury. Neth J Crit Care 2016;24(1): 6-11
- Winkelmann. West Nile Virus Infection in the Central Nervous System. F1000Research 2016,5(F1000 Faculty Rev):105
- Massey. A guide to human in vivo microcirculatory flow image analysis. Critical Care 2016;20:35
- Kapiloff. The cardiac enigma: current conundrums in heart failure research. F1000Research 2016,5(F1000 Faculty Rev):72
- Bulluck. Reducing myocardial infarct size: challenges and future opportunities. Heart 2016;102:341-348
- Youness. Review and Outcome of Prolonged Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Critical Care Research and Practice 2016;2016:7384649
- Camporota. Current Applications for the Use of Extracorporeal Carbon Dioxide Removal in Critically Ill Patients. BioMed Research International 2016;2016:9781695
- Sims. Could Biomarkers Direct Therapy for the Septic Patient? JPET 2016;epublished February 8th
- Avila. Recent Advances in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Clostridium Difficile Infection. F1000Research 2016;5(F1000 Faculty Rev):118
- Khoury. The Complex Role of Anticoagulation in Cirrhosis: An Updated Review of Where We Are and Where We Are Going. Digestion 2016;93:149-159
- Rossaint. Acute kidney injury: definition, diagnosis and epidemiology. Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica 2016;68(1):49-57
- Vanmassenhove. Prevention and conservative management of acute kidney injury. Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica 2016;68(1):58-71
- Oppert. Timing of renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury. Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica 2016;68(1):72-7
- Ricci. Modality and dosing of acute renal replacement therapy. Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica 2016;68(1):78-86
- Nongnuch. Anticoagulation for renal replacement therapy for patients with acute kidney injury. Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica 2016;68(1):87-104
- Rear. Contrast-induced nephropathy following angiography and cardiac interventions. Heart 2016;epublished February 8th
- Ricci. Renal Replacement Therapy. F1000Research 2016, 5(F1000 Faculty Rev):103
- Obi. Current and Potential Therapeutic Strategies for Hemodynamic Cardiorenal Syndrome. Cardiorenal Med 2016;6:83-98
- Marik. A rational approach to fluid therapy in sepsis. Br J Anaesth 2016;116(3):339-349
- Bhatia. Middle East respiratory syndrome: A new global threat. Indian J Anaesth 2016;60:85-8
- Bakthavatchalam. Laboratory detection and clinical implication of oxacillinase-48 like carbapenemase: The hidden threat. J Global Infect Dis 2016;8:41-50
- Kemp. Top 10 Facts You Need to Know About Synthetic Cannabinoids: Not So Nice Spice. The American Journal of Medicine 2016;129:240-244
- Zaremba. Perioperative sleep apnea: a real problem or did we invent a new disease? F1000Research 2016,5(F1000 Faculty Rev):48
- Fanelli. An update around the evidence base for the lower extremity ultrasound regional block technique. F1000Research 2016,5(F1000 Faculty Rev):104
- Trinka. A definition and classification of status epilepticus – Report of the ILAE Task Force on Classification of Status Epilepticus. Epilepsia 2015;56:1515–1523
- Pappas. Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Candidiasis: 2016 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2016;62(4):e1-e50
- Rombach. Glucagon in hemodynamic instability after tricyclic antidepressant overdose. Neth J Crit Care 2016;24(1):25-7
- van Haaften. An immunocompromised patient with fever and pulmonary infiltrates. Neth J Crit Care 2016;24(1):18-24
- Bouma. Mackler’s triad: Boerhaave syndrome. Neth J Crit Care 2016;24(1): 28
Although SMACCDUB sold out in less than 24 hours over three separate releases, there are still ways to get there. You can enter the SMACC BYTE competition. Summarise your favourite SMACC talk in a single slide or infographic and be in to win. Check out these examples. Entries close on close on Thursday, 10 March 2016 and the winners will be announced soon after on St. Patrick’s Day.
Failing that, you can enter the auction for two SMACC DUB ‘Golden Tickets‘. The winners will be true SMACC VIPs, with deluxe front row armchair seats, a personal butler, tickets to the speakers dinner, a chance to hangout with their favourite speaker and special SMACC packs. All proceeds will be donated to Focus Ireland, a charity tackling homelessness in Ireland. The auction starts 9am AEST 4th March and ends 9am AEST 9th March 2016.
(Image from Wikimedia)
The 13th Annual Critical Care Symposium is on April 28th and 29th in Manchester Town Hall, England. This meeting aims to bring together world renowned speakers for a conference outside London and to provide a conducive environment allowing informal discussion. Most importantly, this event provides good quality education covering various topics in Intensive Care at an affordable price.
The 9th UK Critical Care Research Forum is being held on 23rd – 24th June 2016 at the Sage Gateshead, with over 20 research proposals as well as sessions on adaptive trial design, international collaborations in critical care trials and patient-centred research. There is also a Forum dinner at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Registration is now open.
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. If you have an idea for a paper, and can say it in an engaging manner, please get in touch. We also need peer reviewers.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week