Newsletter 175 / April 12th 2015
Welcome to the 175th Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, bringing you the best critical care research published in the past week, plus a wide range of free full text review articles, guidelines, commentaries, editorials, study critiques, correspondence and case reports from hundreds of clinical and scientific journals.
There are several high quality randomized controlled trials this week, investigating age of transfused cells in cardiac surgery, regional citrate anticoagulation in RRT, early rehab in sepsis, and the latest ARDS surfactant trial. Draft changes to the UK difficult airway society guidelines have been released, as has new guidance on percutaneous mechanical circulatory support devices. Amongst the review articles are papers on haemodynamic monitoring, TRALI and venomous snake bites. If you only have time to read one review article this week, try this paper by Ronco on controversy and consensus in renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury.
Critical Care Reviews Meeting 2016
Delegates have already started to register for the 2016 meeting, once again reviewing the major studies of the previous year with chief investigators present to discuss their work. Numbers are capped so don't wait too long before securing your place. Join us on January 29th for a world class meeting in a world class venue.
Time is also running out to register for the next SMACC Conference, on June 23rd to 26th, in Chicago, USA. This is without doubt the most enjoyable critical care conference in the world. There has been a late additional cadaveric procedural workshop added on Thursday 25th. Check out this podcast describing just what this workshop will entail. Just like the Critical Care Reviews Meeting, this is a not-for-profit event, run by a team interested in sharing knowledge in a fun, modern way. It's a conference like no other. I hope to see you there.
Intensive Care Society of Ireland - Regional Lung ESICM Meeting
The ICSI host a superb three day ESICM meeting at Dubin Castle on June 11th to 13th, focusing on every aspect of respiratory critical care. From mechanical ventilation to ARDS to heart-lung interactions, this event is ideal for anyone interested in updating their knowledge in this field, under the guidance of some of the leading names in the area.
Intensive Care Society State-of-the-Art Meeting
Details of this year's UK State-of-the-Art Meeting are due to be released very shortly. With a huge amount of work ongoing behind the scenes, this promises to be a much more dynamic event than before, with numerous new faces and formats.
Critical Care Horizons
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. A call for papers has been issued, so if you have something interesting to say, and can say it in an engaging manner, please get in touch.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
- Full Text: Steiner. Effects of Red-Cell Storage Duration on Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery (RECESS study). N Engl J Med 2015;372:1419-1429
- Abstract: Gatas. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Regional Citrate Versus Regional Heparin Anticoagulation for Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy in Critically Ill Adults. Crit Care Med 2015;epublished April 6th
- Abstract: Kayambu. Early physical rehabilitation in intensive care patients with sepsis syndromes: a pilot randomised controlled trial. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Abstract: Corley. Direct extubation onto high-flow nasal cannulae post-cardiac surgery versus standard treatment in patients with a BMI ≥30: a randomised controlled trial. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Abstract: Willson. The Adult Calfactant in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (CARDS) Trial. Chest 2015;epublished April 9th
- Abstract: Cronberg. Neurologic Function and Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients Following Targeted Temperature Management at 33°C vs 36°C After Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Neurol 2015;epublished April 6th
- Full Text: Zhang. Early goal-directed therapy in the management of severe sepsis or septic shock in adults: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Medicine 2015;13:71
- Abstract: Zhang. Associations of fluid overload with mortality and kidney recovery in patients with acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Crit Care 2015;epublished April 9th
- Full Text: Bove. Beneficial impact of levosimendan in critically ill patients with or at risk for acute renal failure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Heart Lung Vessel 2015;7(1):35-46
- Abstract: Helmerhorst. Association Between Arterial Hyperoxia and Outcome in Subsets of Critical Illness: A Systematic Review, Metaanalysis, and Meta-Regression of Cohort Studies. Crit Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Full Text: Trogrlić. A systematic review of implementation strategies for assessment, prevention, and management of ICU delirium and their effect on clinical outcomes. Critical Care 2015;19:157
- Full Text: Ruan. Inhaled nitric oxide therapy and risk of renal dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Critical Care 2015;19:137
- Full Text: Zampieri. Nebulized antibiotics for ventilator-associated pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Critical Care 2015;19:150
- Abstract: Zhang. Extended Daily Dialysis Versus Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy for Acute Kidney Injury: A Meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2015;epublished April 2nd
- Abstract: Manja. Oxygen Saturation Target Range for Extremely Preterm Infants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatr 2015;169(4):332
- Abstract: Karam. Indications and Effects of Plasma Transfusions in Critically Ill Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;epublished April 10th
- Abstract: Cañas. Effects of antibiotic administration delay and inadequacy upon the survival of septic shock patients. Med Intensiva 2015;epublished April 2nd
- Abstract: Roger. Standard dosing of amikacin and gentamicin in critically ill patients results in variable and subtherapeutic concentrations. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015;epublished March 19th
- Full Text: Gjonbrataj. Does the Mean Arterial Pressure Influence Mortality Rate in Patients with Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure under Mechanical Ventilation? Tuberc Respir Dis 2015;78(2):85-91
- Abstract: Wei. The Association Between Nutritional Adequacy and Long-Term Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients Requiring Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation: A Multicenter Cohort Study. Critical Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Abstract: Kuo. Pulmonary Embolism Response to Fragmentation, Embolectomy, and Catheter Thrombolysis (PERFECT): Initial Results from a Prospective Multicenter Registry. Chest 2015;epublished April 9th
- Full Text: Peng. The administration of dextrose during in-hospital cardiac arrest is associated with increased mortality and neurologic morbidity. Critical Care 2015;19:160
- Full Text: Brunner. Renal tubular acidosis is highly prevalent in critically ill patients. Critical Care 2015;19:148
- Abstract: Krag. Prevalence and outcome of gastrointestinal bleeding and use of acid suppressants in acutely ill adult intensive care patients (SUP-ICU Study). Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 9th
- Rihal. 2015 SCAI/ACC/HFSA/STS Clinical Expert Consensus Statement on the Use of Percutaneous Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices in Cardiovascular Care. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;epublished April 7th
- Difficult Airway Society (UK) draft guideline April 2015 (via @ketaminh)
- Luk. Tiny tweaks, big changes: An alternative strategy to empower ethical culture of human research in anesthesia (A Taiwan Acta Anesthesiologica Taiwanica–Ethics Review Task Force Report). Acta Anesthesiologica Taiwanica 2015;epublished April 10th
- Jakob. Venous–arterial CO2 to arterial–venous O2 difference ratio as a resuscitation target in shock states? Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Chiumello. Understanding the setting of PEEP from esophageal pressure in patients with ARDS. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 3rd
- Pogue. Polymyxin-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii: Urgent Action Needed. Clin Infect Dis 2015;60: 1304-1307
- Mythen. Does gastric tonometry-guided therapy reduce total mortality in critically ill patients?Critical Care 2015;19:172
- Hofland. What’s new on the HPA axis? Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Pickkers. Immunomodulatory adjunctive treatment options for Ebola virus disease patients. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 2nd
- Dunning. Ebola: the battle plan must include specific treatments. Lancet 2015;385(9976):1373-1375
- Angirekula. Epiglottitis in an Adult. N Engl J Med 2015;372:e20
- Botolin. Needle loss in subclavian vein during central venous catheter placement: case report of a rare complication. Patient Safety in Surgery 2015;9:9
- Van Poucke. 2015, big data in healthcare: for whom the bell tolls? Critical Care 2015;19:171
- Perner. Testing current practice is no mistake. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished April 8th
- Thrombolysis in acute stroke. Lancet 2015;385(9976):1394-1396 Appelros | Brunström | Newman | Caso | Authors Reply
- Mietto. Neurotrauma and Inflammation: CNS and PNS Responses. Mediators of Inflammation 2015;2015:251204
- Aantaa. Sedation options for the morbidly obese intensive care unit patient: a concise survey and an agenda for development. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine 2015;10:8
- Hamzaoui. Evolving concepts of hemodynamic monitoring for critically ill patients. Indian J Crit Care Med 2015;19:220-6
- Bristle. Anesthesia and critical care ventilator modes: past, present, and future. AANA J 2014;82(5):387-400
- Kim. Transfusion-related acute lung injury; clinical perspectives. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2015;68(2):101-105
- Gargani. The risk of cumulative radiation exposure in chest imaging and the advantage of bedside ultrasound. Critical Ultrasound Journal 2015;7:4
- Ronco. Renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury: controversy and consensus. Critical Care 2015;19:146
- Merashli. Antiphospholipid Syndrome: An Update. European Journal of Clinical Investigation 2015;epublished April 8th
- Arvanitis. Diagnosis of Invasive Aspergillosis: Recent Developments and Ongoing Challenges. European Journal of Clinical Investigation 2015;epublished April 7th
- Barman. Exchange transfusion in complicated pediatric malaria: A critical appraisal. Indian J Crit Care Med 2015;19:214-9
- Chippaux. Post-exposure treatment of Ebola virus using passive immunotherapy: proposal for a new strategy. Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins including Tropical Diseases 2015;21:3
- Hsing. Clinical implication of perioperative inflammatory cytokine alteration. Acta Anaesthesiologica Taiwanica 2015;epublished March 30th
- Barilan. Rethinking the withholding/withdrawing distinction: the cultural construction of “life-support” and the framing of end-of-life decisions. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine 2015;10:10
- Lee. Statistical and methodological considerations for reporting RCTs in medical literature. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2015;68(2):106-115
- Rogatzki. Lactate is always the end product of glycolysis. Front Neurosci 2015;9:22
- Palmer. Integrated Control of Na Transport along the Nephron. CJASN 2015;10:(4)676-687
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week